Monday, May 9, 2011

Adventure to Florida

After I said goodbye to G we started concentrating on our very big adventure. I drove from Indianapolis to Orlando with two boys by myself. Not only that but I packed us for that vacation as well. I am not going to lie, I absolutely was nervous about driving such a long way, stopping at a hotel, just me and a two and a three year old. As it turns out... easy. I was totally comfortable driving, mostly because my Expedition is like a tiny bus. Very roomy. The boys were complete angels. They watched dvds, played with toys, took naps... didn't make a peep. It was pleseant really, cathartic, to just drive.

Of course when we got to the hotel, the boys went NUTS, ran around and made so much noise it was a really good thing a group of teens were staying all around us. :) Then the next day we got on the road again and they were just as good. We got to Orlando in plenty of time to pick up my dad and Lindsey and then we were on our way to NEW SMYRNA BEACH. To the pink house on the beach. To a very very fun change of scene.

We went straight down to the ocean and the boys freaked out. They loved it and when we made them go back in because we were hungry they threw monstrous fits. We went to dinner and they were just enthralled with the ocean and trying to get at it.

Bright and early the next day we made our way out to the beach. Took eight million toys and the boys were so so so excited. They went straight out to the ocean, not a drop of fear from my kids. Lysander did end up getting caught up in a wave and went half under the water... and never went back in the water after that. i don't think it's a fear of water though, I think it's just that he didn't like the waves. However, he couldn't have enjoyed the sand more if he tried. Of course on the first day Lysander, Lindsey and I totally got burnt. How my blonde hair, crystal clear blue eyed kid with the fairest skin managed to not get burnt at all, I have no idea. Except that he didn't stop moving the entire time we were on the beach and Lysander sat in the same position playing in the sand for hours. Dad never went down to the beach, his balance isn't good enough for sand anymore, but he sat on the porch a lot and watched the ocean and us playing in it.

We beached it on Sunday,  Monday and Tuesday and basically did the same thing as the first day. Lindsey and I took turns playing in the ocean and playing in the sand with the petites who couldn't stay in the same place at the same time. At least I wasn't by myself trying to run in two different directions. Lindsey was an incredible help to me the entire time. Lysander was stuck like glue to her almost immediately. I think he'll be devastated when she leaves.

Wednesday we went back to Orlando area to go to Disney World. It took us forever to get there and then forever to actually get in to the park because the monorail was broken so everyone arriving had to take the ferry. I would have wanted to take the ferry anyway because it was just fun, but it took so long to get to magic kingdom. But once we got in it was great. I love Disney World. I feel like it makes you happy no matter what. We did realize after our first ride on Winnie the Pooh that the fast pass was the only way to go. Fantasyland was under construction, they are more than doubling the size by 2012, so I am excited to go back! We rode the Buzz Lightyear adventure, Pirates of the Carribean, Winnie the Pooh, Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor, and Haunted Mansion. Most everything the boys could ride. I definately know more though after that experience about how to do Disney next year when we go when Grover gets home. The boys had such a good time, though Isaac did fall asleep in the Haunted Mansion. So funny. They were super tired, but it was great to do all that with them, and I can only imagine when they are a year older how much more they will enjoy it. My dad was a real trooper and motored himself around the park with us and even went on Winnie the Pooh. Of course that was his first and last ride. Much too long of a wait. He likes people watching though and I believe he enjoyed himself as well.

Thursday and Friday we did less of the beach because of weather and the boys were just tired. We still went out though because they just loved the sand and water so much and of course Lindsey and I wanted to get our fill. Friday afternoon and evening we packed everything up, got the car all ready to go and then we piled in at 8 am on Saturday morning. I was sad our vacation by the beach was over, but I was also ready to go home. We decided to drive straight through, so we got home right about midnight. I'm really glad we just got it over with and didn't stop. It was nice to not spend Mother's Day driving.

That was our beach vacation in a nutshell. It was a good distraction for me and the boys. I know my dad had a good time seeing the kids play and being with us. Lindsey definately got a fast pass in to the family, the boys don't know how to ease in to relationships. :) As always, you can't wait to go on vacation and then by the end of it you can't wait to get home. Though I think if GJ had been at the beach with me I might have felt like staying at little bit longer!!

1 comment:

  1. I HAD A WONDERFULL TIME BEING WITH YOU KATIE, BUT THEN I ALWAYS ENJOY TALKING AND BEING WITH YOU. SOOOO FUN WATCHING THE BOYS AND PLAYING WITH THEM, IT JUST FILLS MY HEART WITH JOY. LINDSEY IS GOING TO BE AN GREAT ADDITION TO THE FAMILY, WHAT A TRUE SWEETHEART, SHE ENJOYS LIFE SO MUCH.I HOPE WE CAN GO AGAIN WITH CODY AND GROVER. I DO LOVE BEING WITH MY FAMILY. LOVE YOU DAD.

    ReplyDelete